Monday, November 15, 2010

Week 4: Working the Miracles

Monday, November 15th, 2010

Ello Everyone!!
Holy kanoli! Im actually a missionary in Leeds, England!!! And not just the England Leeds mission... But the actual city of Leeds! Yup,thats right! My first area I have been assigned to is the Leeds 5 area, within the city of Leeds! I have been told that some missionaries can be assigned to all of the assigned areas within the mission, but never actually get to serve in the city itself, so I'd say Im pretty blessed! My new companion (slash trainer) is Elder Pass,from Fresno, California! He is such a stud! I really am so blessed to have been assigned to such a fantastic and wise missionary. He is also quite an effective teacher, and I am excited to learn from him on my mission!
So I didnt really have a P-day last week... Which was kinda lame... But at least they gave us the chance to email on our last night at the MTC! Anyway, our flat is located in the suburb of Morley, and I must say, it is pretty nice!! And from what the other missionaries have told me, its one of the best in the mission. So I am so blessed to have so many great things going for me in my first transfer!
Also, may I add, I have only been in the mission field for about 4 days, and I have to mention, I have seen miracles take place! Elder Pass and I have been so blessed to have witnessed them! As soon as we dropped our stuff off at the flat upon arrival on Wednesday, we had tea (dinner) at the McCan's house (member family), and then we went off to an appointment at an investigators home. We were able to teach Sabeena (29) and Antonio (9) her son about the gospel as a second lesson. And you wouldn't believe it! That night, at my first investigator experience, we invited Sabeena and Antonio to be baptised on the 4th of December, and they accepted!!! Wooooot!!! They also came to church this past Sunday, and they really enjoyed it!
Miracles, can you believe it???
Street contacting started out being extremely difficult. I must say it was extremely hard to stop and talk to random people on the street about the message of the restoration/God/Jesus Christ/ anything else! However now, I am proud to say, I am able to talk to everyone!! Just as the Lord said ''Open your mouth and it shall be filled'' (not talking about food, but about speaking with the spirit)
I have already been so blessed with the experiences I have had.
Sunday at church was another interesting experience. It was so cool to realize that for the first time in my life, I was actually the missionary in some one's homeward (or in this case, home branch) I was also surprised to learn that I would be giving an impromptu talk that day in sacrament meeting. I originally had 20 minutes of time to speak, and about 25 minutes to prepare. Thankfully when the time came, I only had about 5 minutes. I talked a little about myself, my background, bore my testimony and sat down. I am so glad that went well. The members here are fantastic! The branch is way into missionary work, and the members here feed us practically every night! And most of the food is soooo good! (I must say I went to an African family's house for tea (again, dinner) and had a traditional african meal, complete with fufu and no silverware to use. It was... a blessing to be fed. Peter, I don't know how you did it...

Today is P-day!!! Yay!! After emailing I am off to get my haircut!!! Wait... oh. yay. I mean, yay for obedience!!! It is a rule that I must have a side part in my hair. I literally do not remember a time in my life when my hair had a side part. Ive seen pictures as a baby, ya know, 2 or 3 years or something, but that's it... Anyway, if I want to baptise, I need a side part (that's what the missionaries tell me anyway) So I'll have to send you a picture of my new attempt at a side part in next weeks email... Ye be warned.
After the hair cut, we are off to buy food, do some other stuff that I don't remember, and then play football (soccer) with the rest of the missionaries in the zone! We'll see if I'm any good, ha ha!
So we're not allowed to give out our flat address to anyone but our parents for letters, so please send all letters to this address:
Elder Gabriel Spencer
England Leeds Mission
Lister House, Lister Hill
Horsforth, Leeds
England LS18 5AZ
This is the mission office address and will likely only give it an extra day for mail to get to me, but that's fine :) I love mail!
(Josh, please double check to see if this is the address listed on my facebook status. If its not, please change it accordingly)
Well, my time is almost up. So all I would ask is to continue to pray for me and my companion Elder Pass, as well as the people of England that their hearts may be softened and that we may find the seekers of truth!
I love you all, and hope all is well!

Best wishes,
Elder Gabriel Spencer
P.S. People say 'cheers' a lot in England. It tends to be used as a substitute for ''thank you'' and ''goodbye''

No comments:

Post a Comment