Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Week 2: First REAL missionary experience



Wednesday November 3, 2010

Hello everyone!!!

SOOO much has happened in the past week, and I wish I could contain it all in this one email! But alas! I have limited time, so Im going to give you a very breif summary. If you'd like to know more, write me a letter! (Hint hint!)

So, Friday was our first REAL missionary experience. We were able to be sent to downtown Manchester, where we were to proselyde to the England people for the first time! It was a little discouraging, because after a while, about 85% of the people talked to did not believe in any kind of superior being :-/ BUT! I had a really cool experience with my companion on talking to this woman at the train station to Manchester, where after I said hi to her, she started asking us who we were and why we were doing it. Eventually we found that she and her family used to be devout roman catholic until her father tragically died of cancer. Because of this, she decided to stop going to church altogether. This happened 6 years ago. It was very cool in the sense that after she learned that we were missionaries, she basically open up her needs to us! We were able to share a scripture with her, and give her a book of mormon with an invitation to read! Pretty cool, eh? The first person we ever talked to, we handed a book of mormon!! And even cooler was the fact that after we had finished with our thing in Manchester, we saw her and her family again on our way back to the car, about 3 hours later! This time, we were able to give her some contact information should she ever decide to have the missionaries contact her!! It was sooo cool!

Then some classes, teaching skills improving, feel the spirit here all the time, lots of cool stuff like that....

Today, we were able to go on a church history tour to the river ribble and see where the first baptisms in great britan took place!! We then went to a small villiage called Downham, where I found my long lost ancestors!! It said in the town history that the spencer family was of the first families to emigrate to america! I actually found the gravestone of my great great great uncle and aunt, seen in the picture above! It was a really cool experience, and I would love to give more details over a letter, so please send one if you are interested!

Well, time is almost up, but I love you all, and hope for the best for you! Thank you for all your prayers and support!!

Love,

Elder Spencer

PS English sweets (candy) is amazing! So is the dessert!



No comments:

Post a Comment